Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot

First taste is sweet, malty. Then a slight bitter kicks in with the aftertaste. This is a barley-wine style ale. 11.1% abv! Yikes! I don't think I've ever had a barley-wine beer, that I can recall. And I have to say, I was a little apprehensive about trying this kind of beer. I was talking to my beer guy at Waywood Beverage and told him I wanted a sample case that had some kind of belgian style ale in it. He has gotten pretty good at knowing what I like, and pointed me toward a sample of Weyebachers. Merry Monks? Sounds good. Old Heathen Imperial Stout? Sounds good. Simcoe Double IPA? Sounds good. Blithering Idiot? Name sounds good. But Barley-wine ale? I was just about to move on to another maker, different kinds of beers, when I thought, why not? That's the purpose of the is blog, BEER!, anyway. Try new stuff, provide a little write up so the others get some kind of idea about it. I'm glad I gave this beer a chance. It's surprsingly good. There is nothing surprising at all about Weyebacher being good. I've had the Merry Monks before, and it's a quality beer. But this barley-wine style ale was a nice surprise. I'll get this one again. With its high ABV, it's a sipper, no doubt. There is a quality to this beer that is a little different that I can't quite put my finger on. But, I like it. It's a quality winter ale.

I'll give an update soon on the others in the case that I mentioned. Stay tuned...

2 comments: