Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Back To Belgians: Leffe Blonde Ale

When you get home from work and crave a beer, nothing tastes better than the first few sips. In fact, Leffe has just filled today's void. The past few months I have been on a bit of a beer drought, drinking only several beers here and there - even on St. Patrick's Day. Can you believe that?

Sure, my normal fare out at the bar would disgust you all - Bud Light is frequented, Blue Moon is a common pleaser, and random Dirty Hoe's (Hoegaarten & frambois) are sometimes visited. But when a long drought of not only beer has occured, but Belgian beer particularly, my taste buds get excited.

Leffe could staunch your thirst for that home-from-work beer; It really does it so well. A murky complexion is she and hardly any bitter taste can be found in this blonde beer. If you're not sure why its called "Leffe", well that due in part to the Abbey it is named after: Notre Dame de Leffe. Sure, if you Wikipedia Leffe beer, you may have actually realized you've stepped on a monster of a beer dating back to 1152. Through floods, The French Revolution and many other instances, the brewery has been destroyed, rebuilt, then destroyed again only to have the faithful come back. For what reason? Beer is my only likely answer here.


Let's get down to the beer itself. I could easily see this one going well with some thick cheese and heavy roast beef since the beer itself lends quite a bit of flavor. Your mouth will be watering for some more before you've realized you blew through a bottle in no time flat. There's a sudsy feeling after each sip. At the end of the bottle, you might trick yourself into thinking there in fact is some bitterness to this one, but alas a friendly bitterness; not one to drive you out of town looking for another beer.



I would highly recommend this beer to anyone I know, particularly those dedicated to Belgian beers. Although if you've been a fan of Belgians, you most likely know about this. So let this be a reminder to you - go out and buy some Leffe. You haven't had it for a while and your taste buds will thank you for it. 8.4 / 10!

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite beers and it's tough to make such a bold statement as there are many beers that I like, but when it comes to Leffe, I can be so bold. Great post. There is a "Leffe Braun (or brown)" that is superb too but I've only managed to get it in bars, never seen it sold. If u see it, get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also one of my favorite beers. This beer is pure quality. Never heard of the Braun. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for that one in the beer store. That has potential, especially if it comes from Leffe.

    ReplyDelete