Saturday, October 31, 2009

St. Bernardus Apt 12

I went to one of my favorite niche restaurants last night - the Half Moon Saloon, in Kennett Square. I ordered this beer and an antelope burger. This place is know for its quality beer and fresh game burgers. I was blown away by this beer. Simply unbelievable. It was sweet smoothness to the core. This beer is a dark, Belgain ale. Flavors blend mystically in this 10% abv killer. The St. Bernardus Apt 12 is a heavy hitter in terms of both alcohol and taste. You would think a beer this strong would have a heavy, residual alcohol flavor, like sipping whiskey. This beer was strong, but silky smooth. I've tasted some good beer in my day. I can't rate this beer high enough. This one goes right to the top of the list. It was that good.
You've heard the saying "you get what you pay for", right? With a beer this good, this smooth and tasty, comes a high price tag. I can't remember the price off the top of my head when I was at the beer store. I paid something like 10 bucks for one bottle at the Half Moon. I want to say you need about 100 stones at the beer store for this beauty, maybe more. If you ever decide to go out and get a case of this stuff, number one you won't be sorry, but more importantly, number two don't go handing this stuff out at a party. This stuff should be reserved for a very select few. This stuff is priavte stash, private reserve quality. And if you have a safe in the house, that'd be the best place to store it.
I didn't even need to have another one of these beers for it to change my mind, to soften my tastebuds. This thing catapulted to the top by the time I was a quarter of the way through.

4 comments:

  1. Holy Crap! I gotta get some. Am I on the Private Reserve list, as a contributing member? hehe love, Matt the Mitzvah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt-
    I might just be picking up a case of this gold in the next month or so. Call it a holiday gift for myself. If I do get it, you'll be getting a call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gotta try this stuff out... I'll "chip-in" if needed to defer the cost. Not too familiar with dark belgians, but it sounds tasty. Getting your high alcohol content in with a nice layer to cover it is something quite tricky to accomplish. Nice review...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had one of these with Beer Me Haenn, and I have to say that he isn't exaggerating! Not only was the beer very tasty, I was seeing double after my first one!!!
    I really wanted another, but the kids were
    out of control and we ran out of the place.
    Good thing I didn't have another. I didn't know they were $10 a pop......
    Hopp Girl

    ReplyDelete