Sunday, October 25, 2009

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale


Why didn't don't snakes drink beer? Because they can't hold their alcohol....

Terrible, I know. Before I get into this beer, I'd like to briefly introduce myself before moving on. My name is Brendan, and I enjoy beer. Alot. I also write about music on my music blog I've had for over three years... (pardon the shameless plug).

Since that's all you need to know about me for now, I'll get right into my first beer review. My first beer review is a seasonal one - pumpkin ale. Does pumpkin actually mix with beer? We're about to find out...

After setting my mind on pumpkin ale, the local beer store sold me on a pumpkin ale; but not just ANY pumpkin ale. I'm talking about the first pumpkin ale known to man. The brewery that paved the road for all other pumpkin ales. I regrettably was swayed from a well-know Blue Moon version of the pumpkin ale and bought "America's Original Pumpkin Ale" from the Buffalo Bill's Brewery distributed in Orgegon, Washington and Northern California.

Let's skip a few steps and get right down to tast. BB's Pumpkin Ale is not sweet, just as pumpkins are not sweet, nor would the flavor of a pumpkin be revealed through a beer saturated with hops. The pumpkin flavor is hardly noticeable too. For a thicker, tasteful beer I would recommend this. However, if you do not like your beers flavored, although not overpowering, the ale is predominantly backed with some substantial spice!
In other words, if you're looking to get fired up, this is not the beer, but neither is Coors Light. Or if you are into the Belgian whites like I am, this may not be for you either. You won't be able to put down a 6-pack with ease, but would compliment some yams and pumpkin pie. I don't have another pumpkin ale to match this one up against, but I would have no problem recommending this as a starter. My final grade is: Tasty, although I think my grade is right in line with this review.
Check out Buffalo' Bill's website here and get tasting some more of these Western US beers!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good seasonal one to try. Great first post, B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like something I would probably barf right out. Pumpkins ought to stick with pie. Unless, it's very subtle. Thanks Brendan for your first review. I have several coming soon...so stay URL'ed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, its not high on my list of beers to drink again. I let several others try out the overpriced case I bought ($45), and I would say 1 out of every 3 thoroughly enjoyed it.

    Thanks for the feedback! I'll have a few more coming this weekend...

    ReplyDelete